How Much Do Pit Bulls Weigh?
Pit bulls are a well-known dog type that includes breeds related to the bulldog and terrier types. The traits of these breeds blend together, making the most of the terriers' sharpness and agility and the power and strength of bulldogs. Over the years, we have created different pit bull breeds such as the very popular American Pit Bull Terrier or the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which have distinct features and characteristics.
If you have a pit bull and want to monitor their health, stay with us at oneHOWTO. In this article we'll explain how much do pit bulls weigh depending on the specific breed.
American Pit Bull Terrier
The American Pit Bull Terrier is perhaps one of the best-known pit bull breeds. They have short hair, a square frame and are usually of medium size. Despite their aggressive reputation, they are considered people-friendly dogs, easily trained and very astute.
- Males will reach a height between 45 to 48 cm (18 to 19 inches) and will weigh between 13 to 30 kg (30 to 67 pounds).
- Females range between 41 to 46 cm (16 to 18 inches) in height and between 10 to 35 kg (22 to 78 pounds) in weight.
- American Pit Bull Terriers are born weighing around 5 kg (12 pounds).
American Staffordshire Terrier
The American Staffordshire Terrier is one of the most muscular and energetic pit bull breeds. It has a wide, powerful frame, short hair and carries most of the weight in the torso. It is an intelligent and outgoing dog that usually requires a high level of activity. It is obedient and easy to train.
- Males will reach a height between 43 to 48 cm (17 to 19 inches) and will weigh between 25 to 30 kg (57 to 67 pounds).
- Female ranges are 41 to 46 cm (16 to 18 inches) in height and between 22 to 30 kg (48 to 67 pounds) in weight.
- Amstaffs are born weighing around 4.5 kg (10 pounds).
Here you can learn more about the differences between American Pit Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
The Straffordshire Bull Terrier is one of the smallest pit bull breeds. It is also muscular and square-framed, with a rather short and wide head. In terms of personality, it is highly friendly and charismatic but also a very courageous and active breed.
- Males will reach a height between 36 to 41 cm (14 to 16 inches) and will weigh between 11 to 17 kg (25 to 38 pounds).
- Female ranges are 33 to 38 cm (13 to 15 inches) in height and between 10 to 16 kg (23 to 35 pounds) in weight.
- They are born weighing around 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds).
The Bull Terrier is often recognized as a pit bull breed, although there is certain discussion on the subject. It looks very different to the other types and thus it is argued if it should be considered a pit bull. The Bull Terrier usually has white monochromatic fur or light brown colored hair and an elongated, sometimes black nose. Here you can learn more about how to care for a Bull Terrier.
The standard size of the Bull Terrier breed is between 50 to 61 cm (20 to 24 inches) in height and between 25 and 30 kg (55 to 65 pounds) in weight, while the miniature breed is between 25 to 36 cm (10 to 14 inches) in height and between 11 to 15 kg (25 to 33 pounds) in weight.
Similarly to the Bull Terrier, it is disputed whether the American Bulldog should be considered a pit bull. It is agile, fast and strong as any pit bull, but taller and heavier.
- Males will reach a height between 55 to 70 cm (22 to 28 inches) and will weigh between 32 to 54 kg (70 to 120 pounds).
- Female ranges are 52 to 65 cm (20 to 26 inches) in height and between 27 to 45 kg (60 to 100 pounds) in weight.
If you want to read similar articles to How Much Do Pit Bulls Weigh?, we recommend you visit our Pets category.