How to make healthy homemade food for my cat
Some people prefer that their cats are fed with homemade food instead of giving them processed food. If you want to prevent them from catching toxoplasmosis it is essential to be extremely rigorous when making their food. The most important thing to remember is that you should not repeat the same menu for your cat every day, because all that will do is make gaps in its health. Meat every day is a mistake because just like us, they need variety in their diet to be in perfect condition. On OneHowTo.com we will guide you to how to make healthy homemade food for your cat.
The key to making healthy homemade food for your cat is to make a varied diet. This is the only way to ensure your cat does not have deficiencies of nutrients or vitamins.
Examples of varied diet: One day you can make it rice with chicken and cut it into small pieces so it can eat without problems. Make sure the chicken has no bones of course. Another day you can give it tuna, cooked meat, some fruits that it likes (except apple, apricot and nectarine), fish, etc. Please note:
- Tuna (but not the kind for humans that comes in cans) and sardines are good choices. Boil the fish. Never fry it or give them it raw and always be sure to remove all bones.
- Chicken is also a good choice. Remove the bones and skin as that contains cholesterol.
- Remember to give them cooked meat, never raw and to cut it into pieces.
- If you want to give them eggs, scrambled are best. Never give them raw eggs.
Be very careful with carbohydrates such as noodles, biscuits, bread and any food of this type because they are not made for animals and could cause health problems for your cat.
To make sure your cat has a balanced diet, it is advisable to combine homemade meals with dry food to prevent it from having any deficiencies at least once or twice a week.
Your cat should always have fresh and clean water in one or more bowls. Your cat needs to be well hydrated for its health.
With a good balanced diet you'll prevent your cat from becoming overweight. Excessive or uncontrolled eating can cause your cat to develop eating disorders, both by eating too much and too little and can cause health problems.
If your cat is overweight by more than 6 kilos you should consult your veterinarian about how to reduce its weight. Similarly if you notice your cat has lost its appetite you should consult your vet.
There are foods that you cannot feed your cat as they are harmful to its health:
- Chocolate. It contains theobromine a hazardous substance and a cardiac stimulant.
- Bones from poultry and fish. Never give your cat bones as they can splinter or get stuck in its throat and intestine, even cause tearing.
- Alcohol. A small amount is enough to poison your pet.
- Milk. Although it is a food that society thinks is suitable for cats, the reality is that most cats are lactose intolerant in adulthood.
- Cured meat (such as sausages). These foods are high in salt and consumption can generate vomiting, diarrhoea, among others.
- Onion and garlic. They contain thiosulfate and are considered highly toxic to your pet.
- Caffeine. Accelerates the heart and nervous system and can cause tachycardia.
- Greasy food or condiments. They are too strong for its digestive system.
- Sugar and sweets. Sugar is bad for its teeth, it is not recommended and may also cause your cat to become overweight.
If you want to give your cat a treat, the best thing is to give them cat biscuits.
If you have questions or you are not able to give a varied menu, go to your veterinarian and ask which foods will ensure your cat gets better and will offer you more advice according to the age and health of your pet.
If you want to read similar articles to How to make healthy homemade food for my cat, we recommend you visit our Pets category.