What are the Best Dog Breeds for Apartments?
Choosing what breed of dog will share our lives is a pretty serious decision, and we must choose an animal that can easily adapt to our home and our habits if we want to give them the happy and healthy life they deserve.
If you're thinking about getting a dog but you're not sure what is the best breed to live in a small home, like an apartment, stay with us at oneHOWTO. In this article we'll answer your question: what are the best dog breeds for apartments?
Finding a dog that fits your lifestyle
It is true that an apartment can seem small for some large dog breeds, but the truth is that the most important thing is to choose a dog according to your lifestyle, and not necessarily the place where you live.
What does this mean? If you're an active person who exercises outside regularly and have time to take the dog for multiple walks every day, it won't matter if you live in an apartment or a large house; you'll already be giving your dog all the physical activity they need.
If, on the other hand, you're quite sedentary, you should choose a calm, quiet breed that does not require too much exercise no matter how much available space you have. Even if you have a large garden, a dog that is not taken for walks will grow unhealthy, anxious and sad.
Does the dog fit into your apartment?
This is an important aspect you should not overlook. It is true that most dog breeds can adapt to life in an apartment, but if you have a very small apartment and a very large dog it is possible that neither you nor your pet will be comfortable.
Remember that dogs need their space, as everyone does, and a large animal in a small space can become a complication. Giant breeds such as the Great Dane, the Saint Bernard, the Fila Brazileiro or the Neapolitan Mastiff are not good dogs for apartments.
What large breeds can live in apartments?
Let's round up: the size of your apartment is important, but you must also consider if you can give your dog the physical exercise they need. Some large breeds can adapt perfectly to living in apartments as long as they receive the physical activity they need. These breeds include:
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
What small and medium breeds can live in apartments?
It is quite obvious that the best dog breeds for apartments are small and medium-sized. They adapt much better to living in small spaces than larger breeds, which is why they are the most common in urban environments.
Some of the best dog breeds to live for apartments are:
- Pug: this calm breed requires little exercise, so it's perfect for the more sedentary.
- French or English Bulldog: these quiet breeds are happy with two short walks a day.
- Poodle: although they require daily exercise, the Poodle is a perfect apartment dog because of their size and the fact that they don't shed much hair.
- Schnauzer: they require activity and a strong personality to control their dominant tendencies.
- Yorkshire Terrier: little and sweet, they frequently live in apartments because of their appropriate size.
- Cocker Spaniel: a medium-sized and very affectionate dog that has no problem living in an apartment.
- Dachshund: small and barely shedding, these dogs are loving and excellent guardians.
- Bichon Frise: they need regular activity, but their small size makes them perfect pets for apartments.
- Shih Tzu: another barely-shedding dog that requires little exercise.
- Pekingese: pleased with short walks that allow them to get out of their heads.
Other dog breeds for apartments
Those are the best dog breeds for apartment, but there are others that can adapt to living in small spaces without a problem because of their quiet temperament or their moderate need for physical activity. They include:
- Basset Hound
Do you share an apartment with a dog? What has your experience been like? Tell us all in the comments section!
If you want to read similar articles to What are the Best Dog Breeds for Apartments?, we recommend you visit our Pets category.