Signs And Symptoms Of Dog Poisoning
Dogs are loyal and loving pets, but they are also curious and restless animals who love to explore. This may in occasions lead them to eating toxic substances that can put their health at extreme risk. Acting quickly is critical to ensure recovery in the event that your dog has become intoxicated, but what signs indicate that something serious has happened? In OneHowTo we explain the signs and symptoms of dog poisoning.
The symptoms of dog poisoning may vary depending on the substance that the animal has eaten, but there are some signs that occur frequently and for which you should remain attentive.
There are three forms of canine poisoning:
- By mouth, when the dog ingests a toxic product or is suffering from food poisoning.
- Topically, where a substance that causes adverse reactions and intoxicates the animal comes into contact with its skin.
- Through breathing, where the animal inhales a chemical or substance which is inappropriate for the dog.
The first step is to ensure that the dog is not suffering from food or a plant poisoning; if you know or suspect what the origin of the problem is or what substance is causing the symptoms it will be much easier for the veterinarian to treat your dog. Therefore we recommend you know what foods are toxic for dogs as well as what plants are poisonous for them too. If you think your animal may have consumed any of the products on these lists you must take it to the vet immediately.
The most common toxic products for dogs are:
- Dairy products
- Aloe vera
- Sago palm
If in the last 12 to 24 hours you have applied to your pet's skin any product or cream for human use or a substance that you are not sure whether it is appropriate for dogs, you should review the area of application. If it is red, swollen, with hives or has a rash that product may be the cause of the poisoning, so take your dog to a specialist immediately.
Some of the symptoms of poisoning in dogs are:
- Excessive drooling
- Difficulty walking or moving
- Difficulty breathing
- Inflammation in the nose and / or face
- Lack of appetite
- Rash or skin marks
- Confusion, apathy
- In more severe cases seizures may occur
These symptoms can also indicate the presence of other serious conditions such as distemper. But if you suspect your dog may have ingested a toxic substance present in your home, garden or on the street, it will be best to take it immediately to a vet to treat it as soon as possible and to ensure its recovery.
There are some people with ill-intention that may deliberately try to poison a dog for many reason. One of the most common poisons used by these 'people' is rat poison. Your dog may also ingest this substance if you have this product at home and it is within its reach.
You will notice that your dog will present the following symptoms if this is the case:
- Loss of appetite
- Limb paralysis
It may take from two to seven days for these symptoms to take effect so don't wait until you see these symptoms if you suspect your dog has ingested rat poison and go to your vet to get a urine analysis and, if this is the case, make sure your dog is decontaminated appropriately.
If you want to read similar articles to Signs And Symptoms Of Dog Poisoning, we recommend you visit our Pets category.