Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs' Teeth
Coconut oil is currently been regarded as one of the best natural remedies for dogs as it has several benefits for dogs' teeth. It is very common for dogs to experience teeth problems, and it is estimated that at least 3/4 of the adult dogs have dental problems. Brushing your dog's teeth might be a good remedy, but it is often time consuming and hard to achieve.
Coconut oil can be an excellent remedy against dogs' dental problems, as well as a natural toothpaste for humans. Not only does coconut oil have many benefits for dogs' teeth, but it also is beneficial to the overall health of your dog. In this OneHowTo.com article we will talk about the benefits of coconut oil for dogs teeth, how to use it, the benefits of coconut oil for dogs skin, paws, ears, as fleas repellent, and even the benefits of dogs' coconut oil for cancer. Moreover, we will list the possible side effects of coconut oil on dogs. So, let's discover the benefits of coconut oil for dogs.
What are the benefits of coconut oil for dogs' teeth
Here is a list of the main benefits of coconut oil for dogs' teeth
- Coconut oil improves dogs' breath, which can be a problem especially in older dogs with gum problems. For specific tips on getting rid of dog's bad breath, check our article.
- Coconut oil contains anti-bacterial agents that clean your dog's gums
- All dogs love coconut oil and that will make tooth brushing more pleasant for your dog
- In synthesis, when we talk about coconut oil for dogs' teeth, we are talking about a good natural toothpaste for your dog.
Coconut oil can be used for human dental care too, discover how.
How to use coconut oil for dogs teeth
Coconut oil for teeth brushing: if your dog does not like teeth brushing, we bet it will love brushing with coconut oil. With the help of a baby's toothbrush, brush your dog's teeth with coconut oil. Your dog will love the taste and will let you brush its teeth for hours!
How to make coconut oil toothpaste for dogs: just mix coconut oil with a little baking soda and you will get an amazing dogs' toothpaste you can use as often as you like.
Another easy way to apply coconut oil on dogs' teeth is to let your dog chew a toy with some coconut oil on it.
Tip: you can alternate coconut oil and aloe vera for your dog's tooth care.
Coconut oil can stain, learn how to remove coconut oil stains with our tutorial.
Benefits of coconut oil for dogs
Let's now see what are the overall benefits of coconut oil for dogs.
- coconut oil is 90% saturated fat, which retain many health benefits
- thanks to its lauric acid content, coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties for dogs, both in its internal and topical use
- coconut oil improves dogs' digestion
- coconut oil boosts the immune system
- coconut oil regulates the dogs' metabolism, allowing it to loose weight of needed
- benefits of coconut oil for dogs skin: coconut oil greatly improves dogs' fur when applied topically. Moreover, other benefits of coconut oil for dogs skin include: treating eczema, improving odor, reducing allergic reactions, alleviating itchy skin, preventing fungal infections, making wounds heal more quickly: coconut oil is an excellent natural treatment for dogs' dry skin and hair
- benefits of coconut oil in dogs food: as we said, coconut oil contains saturated fats. Since dogs would consume lots of them in their natural wild state, coconut oil in food is highly beneficial for dogs. Moreover, coconut oil in dogs food helps dogs better assimilate nutrients. It also regulates the thyroid. One of the benefits of coconut oil in food is that it helps prevent diabetes. Moreover, it provides energy to your dog
- coconut oil dogs paws: if rubbed on your dog's paws, coconut oil protects against cracked paws, especially in winter.
- coconut oil dogs fleas: coconut oil is a natural fleas and ticks repellent thanks to its lauric acid content. So, you can apply coconut oil on the skin and hair of your dog to prevent or get rid of fleas. Coconut oil for dogs' fleas is especially good for dogs who are in poor health condition, as chemical treatments might be to toxic.
- coconut oil dogs ears: you can massage the dog's ear with coconut oil to clean it from wax and to prevent ear mites
- dogs coconut oil cancer: researchers say the fatty acids contained in coconut oil have anti-cancer properties. Incorporating it into their diet is very important to get the benefits of coconut oil for dogs.
How to use coconut oil for dogs
Many people ask themselves: can I put coconut oil on my dog for dry skin? The answer is yes, and you should. You can apply coconut oil directly on the dog's hair, massaging for a while so that it also penetrates into the skin. If you find your furry friend too oily, just rub its hair with a wet cloth.
Massage coconut oil on dogs' wounds to make them heal faster.
You can also apply coconut oil to the paw and massage for at least 5 minutes to let the oil penetrate.
Coconut oil dogs fleas: how to use
If your dog already has fleas, you can rub coconut oil over its hair and skin, being careful to massage deeply so that coconut oil enters the skin's pores. Then pass a fleas comb on your pet's hair and the fleas will adhere to it. Do it outside as some fleas might jump off. If you want to prevent fleas in dogs with coconut oil, you can mix it with water, put it in a spray bottle and spray your dog every day.
Internal use: dogs coconut oil dosage
Let your dog eat coconut oil to make it enjoy the benefits of coconut oil in dogs' food. Here is how: Give one teaspoon of coconut oil for every 10 pounds of dog weight. It is important that your start gradually, so at the beginning it is better if you only give your dog 1/4 of the recommended amount and add some more every 2 weeks.
Puppies can get a very small amount of coconut oil together with their first foods so that they get the benefits of coconut oil for dogs.
Coconut oil dogs side effects
It is very important, in order to get the benefits of coconut oil for dogs without experiencing the side effects, that you introduce coconut oil in your dog's diet little by little, as we mentioned above. Coconut oil side effects include a sort of flu, diarrhoea, and weight problems. All of the coconut oil dogs side effects come from dogs' coconut oil overdose. Some veterinarians also prefer not to give coconut oil to dogs with pancreatitis, because of the fat content. So, just start gradually and keep the dogs' coconut oil dosage low, following the guidelines in the precious chapter.
Which coconut oil for dogs? Just get any unrefined virgin coconut oil and your will have all the benefits of coconut oil for dogs we listed.
If you want to read similar articles to Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs' Teeth, we recommend you visit our Pets category.