First aid for dogs

What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach

Max. D Gray
By Max. D Gray. Updated: January 16, 2017
What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach

Bleach or chlorine is a common product in every home, but it is not a secret to anyone that it is highly toxic for both humans and pets, which is why it is essential to keep it out of reach of children and pets. But when we aren't careful and our dog has access to this product and swallows it, it is essential that you act quickly to avoid greater problems, so we explain at what to do if your dog drank bleach.

You may also be interested in: How to Know if My Dog is Cold

Steps to follow:


When a dog ingests any toxic substance they may show different symptoms that basically depend on the quantities consumed. The most common signs of dog poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain and, in severe cases, breathing problems, loss of consciousness and seizures.


If you find your dog drank bleach or suspect it has, the first thing you should do is go to the emergency vet regardless of if the animal does not yet have symptoms.

When a dog drinks chlorine or bleach they urgently need medical care, because only a specialist can perform a stomach cleaning and ensure the health of our pet.

What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach - Step 2

But if the dog begins to exhibit significant symptoms before going to the vet, or if the specialist is not near your home, we can use some first aid measures for dogs in order to help our pet. Therefore we recommend that you:

  • Don't make your dog throw up. Bleach is a corrosive substance and making the animal vomit could cause damage to their oesophagus, causing burns.
  • The first thing to do if you suspect your dog drank bleach, is to wash its mouth with water, this way you will combat the effects of the chlorine in this area.
  • Then give the animal 30 ml of milk per 3 kilos of weight. The milk will help reduce the presence of acid in the stomach. You can use a needle without a syringe to give this to the dog.
  • If you do not have milk, do the same but with water.
What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach - Step 3

Once you've implemented these measures, take the animal to the nearest emergency veterinary centre to be treated by a specialist.

If the bleach has affected the animal's skin, i.e. it is an external injury, wash the area with cool water for 30 minutes, then take the dog to the vet for a thorough examination.


If you want to know more on dog intoxication and poisoning so you are clear on what could affect your dog, take a look at our article on What can't dogs eat: toxic foods to avoid.

If you want to read similar articles to What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach, we recommend you visit our Pets category.

Write a comment
What did you think of this article?
Terrie Lee Detore
My husband went to the airport to get me, and upon return I noticed my baby had streaks of really light color on his fur .and his belly was white. His belly was dirty from running out to go potty and rolling in the mud. I have no idea who would do this to him. He doesn't want to eat. As soon as I go get him up,( he naps with my husband) , I'll give him a bath . What about jello, he loves it. And cottage cheese., after I get water down him ?? He wouldn't eat, and he usually gobbles his food. I'm trying to reach a vet.
Joshua Klingbeil
"Then give the animal 30 ml of milk per 3 kilos of weight. The milk will help reduce the presence of acid in the stomach."

Are you saying that bleach is acidic?
I surely hope not.....
Debbie Finley
Puking, runny poop, shaking ,and sleeping alot and not eating
1 of 3
What To Do If My Dog Drank Bleach