It is important to deworm your dog regularly to keep them in good health. How often you need to do this will depend on how old your dog is, their lifestyle, and their daily environment, plus there may be other factors unique to your dog that may require you to deworm them more frequently. Confused? At OneHowto, we show you how often do you need to deworm your dog to keep them healthy.
How often do I need to deworm my puppy?
Deworming your puppy is a crucial step that we should never overlook, and they have to be free of parasites before receiving the first vaccine. For this reason, you should deworm your puppy for the first time when they are between 21 - 30 days old. Give them the treatment in a paste or syrup form as they are still feeding on their mother's milk.
After the first time, you must:
- Deworm your puppy roughly every 6 weeks after they were born until they get their first vaccine.
- Always deworm after each vaccination.
- Once your pup is 6 months old, how often you need to deworm them depends on their daily environment. If your pet is in contact with livestock or other animals, or if they go into parks where other dogs are, it is recommended to deworm every month or every 2 months. For indoor dogs or those at less risk, once every 3 or 4 months is recommended.
Deworming adult dogs
If you are unsure how often you need to deworm your adult dog, the answer is very simple. If your dog is mostly outdoors, in contact with other animals or often in public places with other dogs, it is recommended to deworm them every month or every 2 months, as they are more likely to catch worms. For dogs that are always kept indoors, deworm every 3 or 4 months.
It is important to deworm your dog if...
In addition to these general guide, there are some situations which make it absolutely necessary to deworm your dog, for example:
- If you plan to breed your female dog, it is important to deworm her when she begins her heat cycle otherwise her unborns pups can be infected with worms through the placenta. You should also deworm her 15 days before labour; ask your vet what signs you should out for to know when to do this.
- It is recommended to deworm your dog before the pups arrive, and from then on, follow the guidelines give above. It is good to speak to your vet about the possibility of deworming more often to ensure your pet's health.
- And you should always deworm your dog before and after a trip to the kennels.
Learn about some natural remedies for deworming your dog.
This article is merely informative, OneHowTo does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinarian treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the vets if it has any type of condition or is in pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How Often Do I Need To Deworm My Dog , we recommend you visit our Pets category.